Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hello from Romania

3 posters

Go down

hello from Romania Empty hello from Romania

Post  neagu_delana Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:01 pm

Hello! My name is Catalina and I was accepted as an erasmus student for the first semester of the next year( at the economics and business faculty). I am really very excited about coming to Groningen I love you and i looked over the available courses for international students and i was just delighted. I still can't believe that i'll actually be coming to holland Very Happy . My question is whether there is any course which i should particularly take, whether i can involve in research if i'm only coming for 1 semester( i'm still in the bachelor studies) and whether i'll have problems if i don't speak any dutch. Also, i was wandering whether the student houses are ok (we're a group of 5 and we were wondering if it would be better to rent a house-what do you sugest?) and whether there is an introductory period for foreign students. I look forward to meeting you and Groningen!

neagu_delana

Back to top Go down

hello from Romania Empty Re: hello from Romania

Post  Nicolas Bornitz Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:18 am

Hi Catalina!

About taking courses: I can only speak for my program (IB&M) and the courses open for exchange students. In general, I can recommend Int. Economics & Trade (excellent professor) and Organisational Behaviour (interesting course). Concerning your research ambitions, my research courses mainly took place in the second semester of each year, but there should be more possibilities in other courses. Just look on http://www.rug.nl/ocasys/bdk-eco And before I forget, take a Dutch course - that's fun! Although virtually anybody speaks English here (and in the Netherlands in general), Dutch people will appreciate it!
About housing: Student houses are quite alright (but probably nothing compared to your private accomodation now). Getting five rooms in one student house might be problematic but would that be a good idea anyway if you want to get to know to new people? Renting a house is also possible but I have no experience with that and I'm afraid it would be very difficult for foreigners and for such a short time period...
Either way, you will have a great time - Groningen is a real student town. If you can come a bit earlier, join the ESN introduction-week!! There is no better way to get to know the city and other international students Smile

Nicolas Bornitz
Student Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post  diana_tircomnicu Sun May 18, 2008 2:51 am

Hey Catalina!

I am also from Romania and I have been studying here for almost one year. What I can advise you on is accomodation. Basically, international student life is very animated in the first semester and you would really probably like to meet a lot of people during your stay in the Netherlands. This is the first reason why I would advise you to pick a student house, in which socialization is great and the experience is for sure unforgetable. Since you are 5, maybe it can happen that not all of you are in the same house, but this can be changed if you pay for a bed hop, which is 30 euros. However, if you are spread in more student houses, the chances are you meet more people. Also, this problem can be solved if you all apply for the beginning for the same student house (I would advise you to do this on time to make sure that you are all together). Applying is done by following the procedures on http://www.housingoffice.nl One other reason would be that student houses here are better than the ones you are used to at home, meaning they're clean and you also do not have to share your room with somebody else.
However, if you have decided that you do not want to go to a student house, finding something on the private market for 5 people is very tricky and a lot more expensive. You can start by addressing a makelaars (that is agency, there are plenty websites on the internet) as soon as possible. By doing so you might be in luck, although nobody can guarantee that you will all end up in the same place. From my experience, it was very difficult to find something for 3 persons and basically you have to be flexible in your wants to get at least something that resembles you initial expectations.
I wish you good luck in your search and if you have any other questions or need more details, please contact us. We are more than happy to help you.
See you in August!
P.S. Everybody knows English here, so do not worry, but, as Nicolas said, Dutch courses are a lot of fun and perfect for living the whole Dutch experience. Also, when you come make sure you have a lot of energy on stock, for there will be a lot of activities and socializing. Groetjes! Very Happy
diana_tircomnicu
diana_tircomnicu
Student Ambassador

http://povestideadormitcopiii.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum