Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few questions - from Bulgaria

+3
petya_sim
Steffen Farny
Nina
7 posters

Go down

A few questions - from Bulgaria Empty A few questions - from Bulgaria

Post  Nina Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:38 pm

Hi all,

I'm from Bulgaria. I live in a city called Plovdiv. I am seriously considering to study in the Netherlands. I know the universities are good in the Netherlands. As I want to study business, I am considering a few business faculties - Tilburg, Erasmus and Groningen. I haven't yet decided where to go to. It's great to have the opportunity to ask you questions as I have a lot! Smile

To start with, I really would love to hear what the facilities are like in Groningen - are the ICT facilities good (a lot of computers, internet access etc?), is there a sports centre, is the campus housing cheap and is it good. Is Groningen a nice city for international students?

I really like to get a lot of information before I send my application so please give me as much information as possible. Thanks!

Nina

Back to top Go down

A few questions - from Bulgaria Empty Re: A few questions - from Bulgaria

Post  Steffen Farny Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:00 pm

Hello Nina,

nice to hear that you have so many questions about our University and the city of Groningen.
1. The ICT facilities are very good. Just a few weeks ago the majority of the computers at our faculty were replaced by new ones. Everywhere near University facilities (also in the city center) you have wireless Lan and you can access the internet via your laptop! In general you can use all computers of the university in all different faculties, which are placed in different buildings all over the city (mainly in the city center and at the Zernike complex, where our faculty is located).
2. Our sports center is mainly located at our faculty! for a little less then 50Euros you have access to all facilities for one year, which is a pretty good deal considering the amount of choice you have. You can attend 4 or 8 week courses which are free or you might join a sports club. The most popular ones are hockey, soccer and tennis I believe. anyway, the sport offer is very extensive and affordable. eventually, only studying is not what makes student life so great Wink
3. concerning the housing situation for international students, the international housing office is the easiest and fastest way to find a room. via
www.housingoffice.nl you can find more information about that.
for signing up follow this link: http://www.housingoffice.nl/ApplicationHousingOffice.aspx

and your most important question: is groningen a nice city for students? YES ! 1/4 of the inhabitants are stundents, which is in total 50.000 ! the city life is designed for our needs. no matter if you prefer to sport, party, enjoy the culture possibilities are everywhere.

what other questions do you have?
Steffen Farny
Steffen Farny
Student Ambassador

Location : Groningen, Netherlands - originally from Germany - North Coast!

Back to top Go down

A few questions - from Bulgaria Empty :)

Post  petya_sim Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:33 pm

Hi Nina,

I am so happy to know that other Bulgarians are also considering Groningen as an opportunity. You will love the city, the university and the people. I can also confirm the things that Steffen has written. the ICT base is really good, you will be surprised how many computers are here and how the internet is working everywhere...not like in Bulgaria Wink The sports center is really good. There are a variety of trainings and trainers and a lot of students who use it. You can find your sport and also the most convinient time for you. It is open from 7 till 23 and it is well equiped. And about the housing, use the housing office as a start. The rooms they offer are pretty good and you live with a lot of students who are just like you-abroad, not knowing what to do Smile It's fun! I live in a student house and it is nice to meet so many new people, to get to know their cultures and habits. Sometimes it's hard to understand why other people are doing particular things but it's still fun. If you have more questions don't hesitate to write, there are a lot of people willing to help. Hope seeing you here in September! Pozdravi Smile
petya_sim
petya_sim
Student Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post  Nina Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:08 pm

Thanks Steffen and Petya Very Happy It's great to get some inside information from you. Yes I will send in my application.
BTW: I love the pics in the gallery - this really gives a good idea of student life in Groningen!
I look forward to joining that, hopefully in September! bounce

Nina

Back to top Go down

A few questions - from Bulgaria Empty good luck

Post  petya_sim Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:15 pm

Good luck with the application and hope seeing you around in September Wink sunny
petya_sim
petya_sim
Student Ambassador

Back to top Go down

A few questions - from Bulgaria Empty Hi

Post  Lilly Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:59 pm

Hi. I am Lilly
I am from Bulgaria too and I am considering about applying for this university. Smile
But before that, can you give me some information about the jobs opportunities in the city and about your living expenses.
Nina, I am from Plovdiv too. So if you want you can write me Very Happy It will be great to have someone to go there with. Wink

Lilly

Back to top Go down

Post  incheto_zh Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:15 am

Hey, Lilly, nice to meet you! I am Ina and I am first year bachelor student here. Just right now the topic about the job opportunities is of great importance also to me. As I see you are from Bulgaria, just like me so that means that we are allowed to work here and being a working student makes you able to receive a scholarship from IB Groep. This is a good opportunity to have a part- time job and to receive extra money as a scholarship. The other options to receive this scholarship is to have a parent who works here in the Netherlands or to have a Dutch husband but I think this options are not so possible in this moment Smile The expenses vary from person to person, but you should for sure pay every month for accommodation and if you live in an international student house ( you should apply through the housing office for a place there as Steffen Farny explained in the previous posts) this will be between 250 and 350 euro. The food is not so expensive (actually compared with Bulgaria greatest part of the food is even cheaper), just the clothes, shoes and things like that are more expensive but after all we don`t buy shoes every day Smile (and of course there are huge sales where you can buy really nice things at an appropriate price). If you have more questions or something unclear on these questions please do not hesitate to write again and hope to see you together with Nina next year!
incheto_zh
incheto_zh
Student Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post  Hris Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:03 am

Hi, my name is Hristian and I also come from Bulgaria. This year I will be a student in Groningen. My study programm is IB&M. It's very pleasant for me to find out that there are also other friendly people from BG. Could you please help orient in the student life. I have already registered for accomodation. But I will really apreciate if I could count on someone who is in the life.

Many thanks in advance!

Fell free to contact me i look forward to new friends! Smile

Hris

Back to top Go down

Post  Hester Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:06 am

Dear Hris,

It is very sensible to look for someone who can help you with practical/study related matters during the first few weeks. Please contact Stanislava Todorova (mentor@febsa.nl). Stanislava can link you to one of the student ambassadors who will then be your mentor.

Please make sure to include in your email the following details:

Name
Intended Study programme
If possible: A photo of you, e.g. to find you at the train station Smile

Looking forward to welcoming you in Groningen!

Regards, Hester
Hester
Hester
University Staff

Back to top Go down

A few questions - from Bulgaria Empty Thanks

Post  Hris Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:23 am

Many thanks for the answer. I have already written her an e-mail and now I am at the stage of waititng. Smile

Regards,

Hris

Hris

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down